Friday, December 9, 2011

In the Beginning

I have always wanted to create a "blog" for my Bible reading. When I read Scripture, I tend to jot down notes that I want to come back to. They may be questions, or new discovered truths. In any case, I am certain I am not alone. And even though I have not scanned the internet blogging world, others are probably keeping their own blogs that arise out of their Bible study. And so I know that I am not unique in this venture.

My hopes are several.

1) I am a pastor of a church in the East Coast, Bethany Presbyterian Church (PCUSA). I would like for my church members to visit this blog frequently and engage in a biblical dialogue with me. Use this forum or talk to me at church about what I have written and how I can better help you understand the Bible.

2) For those who are serving in small churches and need someone to help them understand the Bible, I hope this blog will be helpful. Please glean from my study and don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for further clarifications. I hope my study can be used by you to teach the Bible and preach if asked to do so. I want to help you -- please let me know how.

3) For my peers, fellow pastors who are called to be experts in the study and understanding of Scripture, to discuss truths together. Obviously, I read and write about the Bible from my limited perspective and learning; please feel free to make comments that better us all. I do ask one thing from you -- please keep our dialogue simple -- you are going to lose me if you begin quoting historical theologians and philosophers and their views -- and quite frankly, I want to understand Scripture personally without having to rely too much on other quite brilliant people -- as Paul would write, "I think that I too have the Spirit of God." (1Cor 7.40).

And so my goals:

1) I want to keep it going. I don't want to begin this and then let it fizzle out. I am afraid that if my three hopes above go unfulfilled, I will lose steam, I hope not. There is a fourth hope that I have not written above. I enjoy studying the Bible and jotting down notes, and the internet is an important medium to share those things with the world. I hope that God will use it in ways that I didn't expect. To that end, I want to keep it going.

2) I will be writing from both the Old Testament and the New Testament. That's because I enjoying reading from both sides. At this time, there won't be any set order to what I write. I will probably take a portion of the passage that I am reading and write on it. Maybe when I get enough content, I will need to organize it by books. I hope so.

Mission trip to Peru 2011. At Machu Picchu with my two boys
3) Now and then, I am going to put photos from my missions trips that may or may not relate to the topic at hand. I don't know, I hope the photos will give it a more personal touch.

God's peace to you.

December 9, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Awesome site! Thanks for starting this blog and I look forward to the biblical dialogue part and hearing about your walk w/God. We truly are at the best church! was that boastful? :) Bests are kind of my thing, haha. I'm sure this site will bless many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, Mira. I've wanted to do this for a long time now. Let's dialogue.

    ReplyDelete